PORTSMOUTH, N.H. -- More than $27 million in assistance has been approved to date by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). These agencies continue to assist the state of New Hampshire in the recovery from the severe storms, and flooding that occurred during late April. These grants and loans help residents and communities bear the financial burdens imposed by the storms? extensive damage.
?Quickly administering aid to the affected counties was FEMA?s top priority,? said Federal Coordinating Officer Albert L. Lewis. ?Although the registration process has ended for individuals, we will continue our efforts here in New Hampshire, working with state and local officials to repair damaged, public facilities.?
More than $18 million in Public Assistance (PA) funding is now obligated to fund more than 1,200 projects declared eligible for assistance on April 27. The grants are for public infrastructure repair and restoration. FEMA pays 75 percent of the cost of these projects while state and local agencies pay the remaining 25 percent. PA funds are available to state and local governments, and certain private non-profits to respond to and recover from disasters.
As of Wednesday morning, August 29, recovery activities from the New Hampshire Office of Emergency Management, FEMA and the SBA are:
- 2,005 homeowners and renters registered for assistance.
- FEMA?s Individuals and Household Program grants total $3,274,087. This assistance covers temporary disaster housing assistance; repairing disaster-damaged homes to a safe, sanitary, and functional condition, and grants for disaster-related needs and expenses not covered by insurance or other assistance programs.
- Applicant visits to Disaster Recovery Centers totaled 727.
- $5,515,700 in SBA low-interest disaster loans have been approved for 148 homeowners, renters, and business owners.
Although the registration period has ended, individuals who have applied for assistance and have additional questions may visit www.fema.gov/assistance or call the FEMA Helpline at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for the speech- or hearing-impaired. Helpline hours are 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. For questions regarding SBA disaster loans, call 1-800-659-2955 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. weekdays, or 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Saturdays.
FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.