Federal Disaster Aid for Maine Surpasses $21 Million

Main Content
Release date: 
August 30, 2007
Release Number: 
1691-030

AUGUSTA, Maine -- The Maine Emergency Management Agency (MEMA), the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has approved more than $21 million in disaster assistance for Maine residents and communities affected by the severe storms and flooding that prompted two major disaster declarations this spring.

In April, the president declared two flooding disasters in the state of Maine: one for severe storms and flooding in mid-March, and one for the Patriot?s Day nor?easter. As a result of the March event, FEMA Public Assistance (PA) has obligated over $1,234,241 for 235 projects in Hancock, Knox, Lincoln, and Waldo counties for damages. So far, damage resulting from the nor?easter has obligated over $14.3 million for 1562 projects in 13 counties.

FEMA?s PA Program provides funds to state and local governments and some non-profit agencies to respond to and recover from disasters. PA funds are available to reimburse costs incurred for emergency measures taken during and immediately after a disaster to protect life and property, as well as to repair or replace disaster-damaged infrastructure. FEMA provides 75 percent of the costs of eligible PA projects, with the state and local governments providing the remaining 25 percent.

As of Wednesday morning, August 29, recovery activities from MEMA, FEMA and SBA are:

  • 2,745 homeowners and renters registered for assistance.
  • FEMA?s Individuals and Household Program grants total $1,889,485. This assistance covers temporary disaster housing assistance, repairing disaster-damaged homes to safe, sanitary, and functional conditions, and grants for disaster-related needs and expenses not covered by insurance or other assistance programs.
  • Applicant visits to Disaster Recovery Centers totaled 779.
  • $3,621,200 in SBA low-interest disaster loans have been approved for 134 homeowners, renters, and business owners.

Although the registration period has ended, individuals who have applied for assistance and have additional questions may visit www.fema.gov/assistance or call the toll-free FEMA Helpline 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for the speech- or hearing-impaired. For questions regarding SBA disaster loans, call 1800-659-2955, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., weekdays, or 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Saturdays.

FEMA coordinates the federal government?s role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top