$3.6 Million in Federal Disaster Aid for Vermont

Main Content
Release date: 
August 13, 2007
Release Number: 

WINDSOR, Conn. -- Nearly $3.6 million in federal aid is now obligated to help Vermont communities recover from damage and destruction caused by severe storms and flooding in April, according to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

The process of helping Vermont's communities recover from the mid-April storms is moving rapidly to completion.  With 218 projects underway in Vermont, 204 are obligated for federal funding and the remaining projects are getting final reviews. 

The storms of April 15-21 caused heavy rain and snow and high winds across Vermont leading to considerable utility and road damage. On May 4, the president declared a major disaster, which made federal assistance grants available to the state, eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations in seven heavily impacted counties - Bennington, Caledonia, Essex, Orange, Rutland, Windham and Windsor. On June 4, Lamoille County was added to the list.

FEMA Public Assistance grants cover 75 percent of the cost of approved repair, reconstruction and mitigation projects with the remaining 25 percent coming from state and local agencies.

In addition to FEMA's aid to communities, the U.S. Small Business Administration approved $44,800 in low interest loans to homeowners.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top