Main Content

FEMA Public Assistance To New York's Schoharie County Tops $425,000

Main Content
Release date: 
August 8, 2007
Release Number: 

ALBANY, N.Y. -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has obligated more than $425,000 in Public Assistance (PA) funds to help New York's Schoharie County repair flood damage and rebuild infrastructure damaged or destroyed in the April nor'easter.

Schoharie County was one of 13 New York counties declared for the PA program, which reimburses eligible state agencies, municipalities, and certain private non-profit organizations for the cost of emergency protective measures and debris removal, and for repairs to roads and bridges, water control facilities, buildings and equipment, utilities, parks, recreational facilities and other items.

The $428,287 represents 75 percent of the cost of approved public assistance projects. New York State pays the other 25 percent and manages the PA program.

"The repair, restoration or rebuilding of damaged public infrastructure is a priority for everyone," said FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer Marianne C. Jackson. "FEMA and the New York State Emergency Management Office (SEMO) are working hard to get these projects identified and the funds approved."

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: