FEMA Public Assistance Grants Reach $1 Million in New York's Essex County

Main Content
Release date: 
August 7, 2007
Release Number: 
1692-094

ALBANY, N.Y. -- More than $1 million in grants has been obligated for Essex County under the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Public Assistance (PA) Program.

Essex was one of 13 counties approved for PA grants for disaster-related damage from the April nor'easter. The program reimburses eligible state agencies, municipalities, and certain private non-profit organizations that provide essential services of a governmental nature.

"The infrastructure in Essex County certainly took a beating during the April nor'easter," said FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer Marianne C. Jackson, "The $1,110,442 to date for PA will help Essex County on its way to recovery."

The PA program provides eligible applicants with reimbursement for the cost of emergency protective measures taken during the disaster, the cost of debris removal, and for repairs to damaged infrastructure. FEMA funding represents 75 percent of the approved project cost. New York State pays the other 25 percent and manages the PA Program.

Altogether, FEMA has approved more than $13 million in PA grants statewide. The Essex County amount accounts for more than 8 percent of the total PA grants to date.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top