Sumner County Added for Public Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
August 1, 2007
Release Number: 
1699-060

WICHITA, Kan. -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced yesterday, July 31, that it is providing assistance to Sumner County to help pay for emergency services and to repair or replace public facilities damaged by the May 4 - June 1 severe storms, tornadoes and flooding.

Governmental entities, municipal authorities, and certain private nonprofit organizations in Sumner County are now eligible for all categories of Public Assistance.

Public Assistance has been available in Barton, Clay, Chase, Cherokee, Comanche, Dickinson, Doniphan, Douglas, Edwards, Ellsworth, Harper, Jackson, Kiowa, Kingman, Leavenworth, Lincoln, Lyon, Nemaha, Osage, Osborne, Ottawa, Pottawatomie, Pratt, Reno, Rice, Riley, Saline, Shawnee, Stafford, Wabaunsee and Washington counties.

Under the cost-share program, FEMA Public Assistance funds 75 percent of the cost for eligible work by state and local governments and certain nonprofit organizations that provide public services. The state manages the grants for all projects. The remaining 25 percent non-federal share comes from state and local sources.

The applicants' briefing schedule for Sumner County will be announced.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror. 

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top