FEMA Public Assistance To New York Reaches $10 Million

Main Content
Release date: 
July 30, 2007
Release Number: 
1692-093

ALBANY, N.Y. -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has obligated more than $10 million in Public Assistance (PA) funds to help New York counties repair flood damage and rebuild infrastructure damaged or destroyed in the April nor'easter.

The 13 counties declared for PA are Albany, Columbia, Dutchess, Essex, Greene, Montgomery, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Schoharie, Suffolk, Ulster, and Westchester.

FEMA funding represents 75 percent reimbursement of the cost of approved public assistance projects. New York State pays the other 25 percent and manages the PA program.

"The repair, restoration or rebuilding of damaged public infrastructure is a priority for everyone," said FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer Marianne C. Jackson. "FEMA and the New York State Emergency Management Office (SEMO) are working hard to get these projects identified and the funds approved."

The PA program provides eligible applicants with reimbursement for the cost of emergency protective measures taken during the disaster; the cost of debris removal; and for repairs to roads and bridges, water control facilities, buildings and equipment, utilities, parks, recreational facilities and other items.

The following is a summary breakdown of the PA funding obligated to date:

  • Nearly 45 percent, or $4.5 million for the repair of roads and bridges;
  • More than 25 percent, or $2.6 million for protective measures taking during the disaster;
  • More than 16 percent, or $1.7 million for repairs to parks, recreational facilities and other items;
  • Nearly seven percent, or $681,864 for the cost of debris removal;
  • Nearly seven percent, or $668,303 for repairs to water control facilities, buildings and equipment, and public utilities.

Public Assistance funds are available to eligible state agencies, municipalities, and certain private non-profit organizations that provide essential services of a governmental nature.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top