Three More Kansas Counties Eligible For Individual Assistance From June Storms

Main Content
Release date: 
July 26, 2007
Release Number: 

WICHITA, Kan. -- Three more counties are now eligible for FEMA's Individual Assistance to help homeowners, renters and businesses recover from the effects of the severe storms and flooding from June 26.

Edwards, Harper and Pawnee counties are added to the July 2, 2007, major disaster declaration, according to the Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). A total of 23 counties in southeast Kansas are now eligible for individual assistance.

FEMA's Individual Assistance program can help eligible applicants with temporary housing assistance, uninsured personal property and medical, dental, and funeral expenses caused by the disaster, and other serious unmet needs.

"We are pleased with the addition of these counties to the disaster declaration," said Angee Morgan, state coordinating officer for the Kansas Division of Emergency Management (KDEM). "The residents in these areas have been looking for the assistance these disaster programs can provide to help them recover."

Elk, Miami, Montgomery, Neosho and Wilson counties were included in the original amendment to the declaration for Individual Assistance; Allen, Cowley, Labette and Linn counties were added on July 14; and Anderson, Bourbon, Butler, Chautauqua, Cherokee, Coffey, Crawford, Franklin, Greenwood, Osage and Woodson counties were added on July 18. Residents who suffered damages in any of the 23 designated counties should register with FEMA.

"This individual assistance for storm victims will help in the long-term recovery of these counties," said Michael L. Karl, federal coordinating officer in charge of Kansas disaster recovery operations. "As we all take part in the recovery process, all Kansans, not just those affected by these storms, should to plan ahead and take mitigation steps that will make their homes and property better protected against future storms."

Those who suffered damage from the severe storms, tornadoes, and flooding are encouraged to register online at or call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 1-800-462-7585 for the hearing or speech-impaired. The toll-free numbers are staffed daily from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. CDT.

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) low-interest disaster loans can help homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and private non-profit organizations pay for their disaster losses, according to SBA officials. They also will meet with applicants one-on-one and assist them in filling out their loan applications. Anyone not able to visit a center should call 1-800-659-2955 for SBA assistance or visit the website at

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top