Less Than Two Weeks Left to Register for FEMA Disaster Assistance from Severe Storms,Flooding and Tornadoes in May

Main Content
Release date: 
July 24, 2007
Release Number: 

WICHITA, Kan. -- August 6, 2007 is the final day for individuals with damage resulting from the severe storms, tornadoes and flooding from May 4 to June 1to register for disaster assistance with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Individuals, families and business owners in the 24 declared counties with damages from these storms should register for disaster aid without delay.

Residents who suffered damage between May 4-June 1 and live in any of the following counties should call and register for assistance by August 6th. These counties include: Barton, Clay, Cloud, Comanche, Dickinson, Edwards, Ellsworth, Kiowa, Leavenworth, Lyon, McPherson, Osage, Osborne, Ottawa, Phillips, Pottawatomie, Pratt, Reno, Rice, Riley, Saline, Shawnee, Smith and Stafford.

A toll-free application telephone number is operational daily from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. CDT for those who suffered damage or loss in the declared counties affected by the May 4-June 1 disaster. The number to register is 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). Those with speech or hearing impairment may call TTY 1-800-462-7585. Non-English speakers should know registrations can be conducted in up to 173 languages. Individuals may also register for disaster assistance online at the FEMA website www.fema.gov.

What information do I need when I call the FEMA Helpline or go online to register?

  • A telephone number where you may be reached;
  • Your addresses at both the time of the disaster and where you are now staying;
  • Your Social Security number, if available;
  • A brief description of disaster-related damages and losses you suffered;
  • Bank account information (account number and routing number to receive a direct deposit); and
  • Insurance coverage, policy number(s) and agent's name.

Applicants should contact their insurance company and file necessary claims before contacting FEMA, as government assistance does not cover damage or losses already covered by private insurance.

U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) representatives are at all DRC locations to explain how SBA low-interest disaster loans can help homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and private non-profit organizations pay for their disaster losses, according to SBA officials. They also will meet with applicants one-on-one and assist them in filling out their loan applications. Anyone not able to visit a center should call 1-800-659-2955 for SBA assistance or visit the website at www.sba.gov/services/disasterassistance.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top