URBANDALE, Iowa -- Disaster assistance of $11.3 million has been approved for Iowa, according to officials with the Iowa Homeland Security and Emergency Management Division, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). Disaster affected Iowa businesses, local governments, families, individuals, and certain non-profits, who suffered damage from the severe storms of May 5-7 in disaster-declared counties were eligible to apply for disaster assistance funding and low interest SBA loans. July 24 is the final deadline for individuals to register for individual federal assistance and to return disaster loan applications to SBA.
Recovery Summary as of close of business July 20, 2007:
- 1,678 individuals have registered for Individual Assistance.
- More than $2.3 million in Individual Assistance has been approved.
- SBA has approved over $2.9 million in low-interest disaster loans to Iowa residents and businesses.
- $6 million has been approved for Public Assistance to local governments and certain non-profits.
- 1,405 home inspections have been completed.
Homeowners, renters and business owners, who sustained damage from the severe storms, flooding, and tornadoes, may register or update their information by calling the FEMA tele-registration number, 1-800-621-FEMA (3362), TTY 800-462-7585 for the speech-or hearing-impaired, or online at www.fema.gov. Residents and business owners can receive information about SBA disaster loans and help with the application process by calling the SBA at 1-800-659-2955 or visit the SBA website at www.sba.gov/services/disasterassistance.
If affected individuals still have unmet needs, they may utilize the following contacts for long term recovery information and resource referrals:
- United Way 211, Dial 211 or go online to http://www3.irissoft.com/iowa/ for Iowa's Information and Referral Database for Health and Human Services
- Iowa Concern 1-800-447-1985
- SBA at 1-800-659-2955 or visit the SBA website at www.sba.gov/services/disasterassistance.
- FEMA Helpline 1-800-621-FEMA or 1-800-621-3362
- Other Needs Helpline, 1-866-434-4692
FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.