Disaster Assistance In New York's Orange County Tops $2 Million

Main Content
Release date: 
July 17, 2007
Release Number: 
1692-076

ALBANY, N.Y. -- More than $2.4 million in disaster assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has been approved for Orange County. The monies include individual assistance (IA) grants, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) loans, and public assistance (PA) funding for damage sustained during the April 14-18 nor'easter.

Orange County was one of six New York counties declared for both individual assistance (IA) and public assistance (PA). The IA program provides disaster grants, along with U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) low-interest loans for homeowners and renters. Business owners may qualify for SBA low-interest loans only.

The PA program reimburses eligible state agencies, municipalities, and certain private non-profit organizations for the cost of emergency protective measures and debris removal, and for repairs to roads and bridges, water control facilities, buildings and equipment, utilities, parks, recreational facilities and other items. FEMA funding represents 75 percent of the approved project cost. New York State pays the other 25 percent and manages the PA program.

The following is a summary of activities in the declared county as of close of business July 17, 2007:

  • More than $430,000 has been approved for 242 households through the FEMA Housing Program (HA).
  • More than $28,000 has been approved for 39 households under the FEMA/State Other Needs Assistance Program (ONA).  
  • The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) approved $1.4 million in low-interest disaster loans for homeowners, renters and business owners.
  • More than 550 individuals registered for assistance with FEMA.
  • More than $540,000 has been approved for Public Assistance (PA) funding.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top