Ulster County Eligible For Federal Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
July 13, 2007
Release Number: 
1710-002

ALBANY, N.Y. -- State and local governments and some private non-profit organizations in Ulster County affected by the June 19 storm and flooding are now eligible for federal disaster assistance, said officials at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

Ulster County's eligibility is an amendment to the July 2 presidential disaster declaration making Public Assistance available to Delaware and Sullivan counties.

FEMA's Public Assistance program provides reimbursement for eligible emergency protective measures taken during the response to the event, including overtime, as well as debris removal and the repair of damaged public facilities not covered by insurance.  Certain private non-profits that provide government services may also be eligible. 

For projects that are approved FEMA will pay 75 percent of the cost and the state reimburses the remaining 25 percent.  Federal funding is also available on a cost-sharing basis for hazard mitigation measures statewide.

Potential Public Assistance applicants will be briefed by the New York State Emergency Management Office (SEMO) in the coming weeks on the application process.  

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top