Disater Aid Deadline Is Two Weeks Away

Main Content
Release date: 
July 6, 2007
Release Number: 
1702-026

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -- Disaster victims in South Dakota have only two weeks left to register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for federal assistance related to damage suffered during May's tornadoes, flooding and severe storms.

While registrations cannot be accepted after the July 23 deadline, FEMA will continue to process all applications received before the deadline.

"Any resident of a declared county who suffered losses in the May storms should register to ensure the possibility of assistance, even if they had insurance," said Justin Dombrowski, the official in charge of federal recovery operations. "Those who plan to register need to do it before July 23."

The deadline applies to residents of Beadle, Brown, Clark, Davison, Hanson, Hutchinson, Marshall, Miner, Sanborn, Spink and Yankton counties who suffered damage from the May 4-5 storms.

It takes only a few minutes to register by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). The number for those with speech or hearing impairment is 1-800-462-7585. The registration numbers are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. (CDT), Monday through Saturday, until further notice.

People can also access state assistance by calling South Dakota's help line at 1-866-737-8998 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. This number can also be used to request face-to-face assistance with the disaster aid registration process.

Recovery services summary at close of business Friday, July 5 include:

  • A total of $21.3 million in grants and loans has been approved.
    • Grants for disaster housing assistance total $5.7 million.
    • $489,000 in grants for other needs assistance has been awarded.
    • The U.S. Small Business Administration has approved low-interest loans totaling $13.9 million.
    • State disaster assistance for food, clothing, and medical supplies has reached $704,975.
  • 4,747 individuals have registered either using the toll-free number, 1-800-621-FEMA (3362), or online at www.fema.gov.
  • 4,308 home inspections have been completed.
  • $583,500 has been obligated for over two-hundred Public Assistance projects of which 75% is paid for by FEMA to reimburse state, local and public sector agencies for disaster-related costs. The remaining 25% is paid by the state of South Dakota.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top