FEMA Public Assistance Grants Reach $1 Million In New York's Westchester County

Main Content
Release date: 
July 5, 2007
Release Number: 
1692-072

ALBANY, N.Y. -- More than $1 million in grants have been obligated to Westchester County, under the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Public Assistance (PA) Program.

Westchester was one of 13 counties approved for PA grants for disaster-related damage from the April nor'easter. The program reimburses eligible state agencies, municipalities, Native American Tribal Organizations, and certain private non-profit organizations that provide essential services of a governmental nature.

"Westchester County was certainly hit hard during the April nor'easter," said FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer Marianne C. Jackson, "With the $24 million the county received for Individual Assistance (IA), and now $1 million to date for Public Assistance (PA), recovery is well on its way for the citizens of Westchester County."

The PA program provides eligible applicants with reimbursement for the cost of emergency protective measures taken during the disaster, the cost of debris removal, and for repairs to roads and bridges, water control facilities, buildings and equipment, utilities, parks, recreational facilities and other items.

The FEMA PA funding represents 75 percent of the approved project cost.  New York State pays the other 25 percent and manages the PA Program.

Altogether, FEMA has approved more than $2.5 million in PA grants statewide. The Westchester amount accounts for more than 40 percent of the total PA grants to date.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top