Kansas Disaster Assistance Tops $30 Million

Main Content
Release date: 
June 15, 2007
Release Number: 
1699-034

WICHITA, Kan. -- As Kansans go into a second month of recovery from the severe storms, tornadoes and flooding of May 4-18, more than $5.4 million has been approved in federal grants to individuals and $24.1 million in disaster loans to homeowners, renters and businesses in 21 counties.

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) officials have been working with the Kansas Division of Emergency Management (KDEM) since May 6 when President Bush declared the disaster.

"While FEMA's Individuals and Households Program helps families begin to rebuild their lives after a disaster, Public Assistance plays a vital role in helping the state and communities pay for emergency measures, debris removal and repairing or replacing damaged infrastructure," said Michael L. Karl, federal coordinating officer for the Kansas disaster recovery.

Federal grants to the state and local governments total $674,202, to date.

Applicants' Briefings, scheduled by KDEM, have been held in each of the 31 declared counties to give local officials and eligible private nonprofit organizations an overview of the Public Assistance application process.

The next step is a Kick Off meeting with FEMA, KDEM and applicants to discuss projects to be submitted for reimbursement. Thus far 158 Kick Off meetings have been held with another 13 scheduled.

FEMA Public Assistance grants are made on a cost-share basis.  FEMA funds 75 percent of the cost for approved work and the remaining 25 percent comes from state and local resources. The state of Kansas manages the grants for all projects.

"The Public Assistance process will go on for months or, in some cases, years, to help communities recover," said Angee Morgan, state coordinating officer.

Public Assistance

  • $674,202 (federal share) in FEMA Public Assistance grants has been obligated.

Local governments and certain eligible private nonprofit organizations in 31 counties - Barton, Chase, Cherokee, Clay, Comanche, Dickinson, Doniphan, Douglas, Edwards, Ellsworth, Harper, Jackson, Kingman, Kiowa, Leavenworth, Lincoln, Lyon, Nemaha, Osage, Osborne, Ottawa, Pottawatomie, Pratt, Reno, Rice, Riley, Saline, Shawnee, Stafford, Wabaunsee and Washington - may apply for Public Assistance grants for debris removal, emergency services related to the disaster, and the restoration of damaged public facilities.

Other highlights of the disaster recovery to date:

Individual Assistance

  • $5.4 million has been approved for homeowners and renters through FEMA's Individuals and Households Program.  That includes $4.4 million in grants for housing assistance and nearly $1 million for Other Needs Assistance, which may pay for uninsured personal property losses and disaster-related medical, dental and funeral expenses.

  • 1,409 families have received housing assistance, with 72 displaced families now occupying FEMA-provided travel trailers.

  • 3,437 Kansans have visited Disaster Recovery Centers to register for disaster assistance and get help with their applications, apply for disaster loans, and learn about mitigation measures to rebuild safer and stronger.

SBA Disaster Loan Program

  • $24.1 million in disaster loan funding has been approved by the U. S. Small Business Administration (SBA).

As the federal government's primary source of money, SBA helps homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and private non-profit organizations fund real estate repairs or rebuilding efforts, and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. These disaster loans cover ...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top