Disasters Increase Legal Needs; Lawyers Offer Help

Main Content
Release date: 
June 12, 2007
Release Number: 

WICHITA, Kan. -- Damage to homes, businesses and personal property from storms, tornadoes or flooding often results in the need for legal assistance.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and The Kansas Bar Association (KBA) have coordinated free counseling about storm-related legal matters to Kansans in 20 counties who suffered loss or damage in the severe storms, tornadoes and flooding which occurred May 4-18.

Members of the KBA will meet with individuals by appointment at the FEMA Disaster Recovery Center located at Hockett Auditorium, Barclay College, Haviland. To schedule an appointment for an in-person consultation, call 1-800-928-3111. Brochures on various legal topics also are available.

Eric G. Kraft, an attorney in Overland Park and the District Representative for the American Bar Association's Young Lawyers Division is spearheading the legal relief effort.

"I grew up in Greensburg and have seen the devastation for myself," said Kraft. "My parents' home, along with the homes of many others, has been completely destroyed. By providing a hotline for legal questions, we hope to assist those victims by providing valuable guidance in re-establishing their lives."

Kansans affected by the disaster who may have legal problems such as re-establishing identities, handling employment and estate matters, or filing insurance claims can call the KBA's Lawyer Referral Service's toll-free number 1-800-928-3111 from 8 a.m to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Residents from the following counties can receive legal assistance: Barton, Clay, Cloud, Comanche, Dickinson, Edwards, Ellsworth, Kiowa, Leavenworth, Lyon, Osborne, Ottawa, Phillips, Pratt, Reno, Rice, Riley, Saline, Shawnee and Stafford.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror. 

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top