Storm-Displaced Kansans Can Find Online Housing Resources

Main Content
Release date: 
June 11, 2007
Release Number: 

WICHITA, Kan. -- A crucial aspect of recovery from a disaster is finding suitable housing if your primary residence is destroyed or left unlivable by severe storms, tornadoes or flooding.

For Kansans with long-term housing needs, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) offers several types of assistance, including services and grants to help people repair their homes and find replacement housing.

To ease the search for replacement housing, FEMA maintains an online rental resource database, Housing Portal.

Housing Portal consolidates rental resources identified by federal agencies, private organizations, and individuals.

To visit the Housing Portal page online go to: and click on "Search for information about housing rental resources." ?Then enter the information needed for the search.

Applicants can also call the FEMA Helpline 1-800-621-3362 (FEMA) or stop by a Disaster Recovery Center to receive rental resource information.

Kansans in the following counties may be eligible for housing assistance: Barton, Clay, Cloud, Comanche, Edwards, Kiowa, Leavenworth, Lyon, Osborne, Ottawa, Phillips, Pratt, Reno, Rice, Riley, Saline, Shawnee and Stafford.

Residents in need of assistance are urged to register by calling 1-800-621-3362 (FEMA) or TTY 1-800-462-7585 for those with special speech or hearing needs.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror. 

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top