PORTSMOUTH, N.H. -- Federal and state disaster assistance for individuals, families and communities to help in recovery from April's nor'easter has surpassed $6.4 million, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and New Hampshire Homeland Security and Emergency Management (HSEM).
To date, $2,853,592 in grants under the Individuals and Households program have been approved for 1,057 households; $3,144,400 in low-interest disaster loans have been provided by the U.S. Small Business Administration for 75 homeowners and business owners; and $417,350 in Public Assistance reimbursement grants have been approved for New Hampshire communities.
There is still time to register for assistance by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 1-800-462-7585 for those with speech or hearing impairment. Both lines are available 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. Residents with Internet access may register online at www.fema.gov, where valuable recovery information is also available.
The deadline to apply is Tuesday, June 26. The FEMA Helpline is available now and beyond the deadline at the above numbers for those who have questions about disaster assistance or who want to check on the status of an application. For questions regarding SBA disaster loans, call 1-800-659-2955.
The following is a summary of ongoing recovery efforts as of close of business June 5, 2007:
- 1,776 individuals have applied in the disaster-designated counties for Individual Assistance (Belknap- (112, Grafton - 78, Hillsborough - 498, Merrimack - 230, Rockingham - 518, and Strafford - 340).
- $2,638,621 in Housing Assistance has been approved for 1,022 applicants, to cover rental assistance, temporary lodging, and repairs to make the home safe and sanitary.
- $214,971 in Other Needs Assistance has been approved for 167 applicants, to cover personal property loss, medical or dental costs and other serious disaster-related expenses, not covered by insurance.
- $3,144,400 in loans has been approved by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) for homeowners and businesses. To date, 1,449 home loan and 208 business loan applications have been issued. SBA continues to operate a Disaster Loan Outreach Center in Manchester.
- $417,350 in Public Assistance has been obligated to reimburse local governments and certain private non-profits for eligible emergency protective services, debris removal and the repair and rebuilding of infrastructure. To date, 209 Requests for Public Assistance have been received from eligible applicants.
FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.