Federal/State Disaster Recovery Center Closures Set

Main Content
Release date: 
June 5, 2007
Release Number: 

SCARBOROUGH, Maine - The Disaster Recovery Centers operated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Maine Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) in South Paris, Portland, Wells and Wiscasset will close in the upcoming days. To date, over 600 people have visited the Disaster Recovery Centers to talk with recovery officials and get help completing U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) low-interest disaster loan applications.

The Disaster Recovery Centers will operate 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mon.-Sat. through the listed closure date:

  • South Paris: Oxford County Court House, 26 Western Avenue, closing June 8
  • Portland: Portland Arts and Tech High School, 196 Allen Avenue, closing June 9
  • Wells: York County Community College, 112 College Drive, closing June 9
  • Wiscasset: Lincoln County Communications Center, 34 Bath Road, closing June 9

Those who have disaster-related questions may visit the centers to meet with recovery specialists in person. Representatives of FEMA, MEMA and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) will be on hand to answer questions and provide recovery information. Two of the four DRCs closing will be converting to SBA Disaster Loan Outreach Centers: York County Community College and Portland Arts and Tech High School ? operating June 11-21, Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Even after the DRC closures, individuals can still register with FEMA or get information on disaster assistance by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for the hearing and speech impaired. Registration can also be done online at www.fema.gov/assistance . The deadline for registration is July 9.

The Maine Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) has statutory responsibility for statewide coordination of emergency preparedness, response, recovery and mitigation. MEMA is a bureau of the Department of Defense, Veterans and Emergency Management.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top