Federal and State Aid for Eligible Personal Losses Available

Main Content
Release date: 
June 4, 2007
Release Number: 

PORTSMOUTH, N.H. -- As the recovery continues from the April Nor'easter, federal and state officials want you to know you may be eligible for assistance to cover uninsured personal losses that resulted from the severe storms and flooding that occurred April 15-23.

Disaster recovery officials are urging those who sustained damage to their personal items to register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for disaster aid, and call back when you receive your insurance settlement or your status changes. Business owners are also urged to apply for help with business and economic injury losses.

"Once you've registered and after you've settled with your insurance company, call FEMA again to update your aid application," said FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer Albie Lewis. "You may be eligible for help with uninsured losses such as disaster-related transportation, medical and dental expenses and for some personal household items."

Disaster aid may also include financial assistance for minimal repair and temporary housing, in addition to low-interest disaster loans provided by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) for homeowners, renters and businesses to repair or replace flood-damaged property.

"We are working closely with FEMA to provide a broad range of disaster aid programs to help people recover and rebuild here," said Michael Poirier, state coordinating officer, New Hampshire Homeland Security and Emergency Management. "But you need to stay in touch with FEMA and also return the SBA application you may have received after you applied, so that you receive all eligible assistance."

Federal and state-funded Other Needs Assistance (ONA) provides grants for disaster-related medical and dental expenses, public transportation expenses and other serious needs. Eligibility for these grants is not dependent upon filling out a SBA loan application. However, to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property such as clothing, some household furnishings and appliances, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses, an applicant must complete an SBA loan application.

Remember, to qualify for federal disaster assistance, you must register with FEMA by calling the toll-free registration line at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or online at www.fema.gov. The TTY number for those with speech or hearing impairments is 1-800-462-7585. Both lines are available 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. For questions regarding SBA disaster loans, call 1-800-659-2955.

For more information visit www.fema.gov/region1/ or www.nhoem.state.nh.us.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top