Disaster Assistance Expanded For York And Cumberland Counties

Main Content
Release date: 
May 9, 2007
Release Number: 

SCARBOROUGH, Maine - Residents of two Maine counties can now register for federal disaster assistance for damages related to the Nor'easter that struck Maine in mid-April. This aid is in addition to that already approved for 12 Maine counties following the declaration of a federal disaster by President Bush on April 25.

Individuals or Households in York and Cumberland counties can register for assistance online at www.fema.gov or by calling toll-free 1-800-621-FEMA (3362), from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., seven days a week until further notice. Those with speech or hearing impairment may call TTY 1-800-462-7585.

"Making that phone call or registering online is the first step in the process," said Ginnie Ricker, state coordinating officer for the Maine Emergency Management Agency (MEMA). "It's also important to note that residents who have called their local emergency management or the Red Cross will need to call FEMA."

Disaster assistance for individuals provided by FEMA and MEMA may include grants to help pay for temporary housing, home repairs and other serious disaster-related expenses. Low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) also will be available to cover residential and business losses not fully compensated by insurance.

"This additional assistance is another sign of the commitment from the federal government to Maine during the recovery process," said Albie Lewis, federal coordinating officer.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

The Maine Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) has statutory responsibility for statewide coordination of emergency preparedness, response, recovery and mitigation. MEMA is a bureau of the Department of Defense, Veterans and Emergency Management.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top