ORLANDO, Fla. -- More than $38.3 million in federal disaster assistance has been approved to help people and communities recover from tornadoes that struck Central Florida in December and February.
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the State Emergency Response Team (SERT) also reported that more than 2,700 Floridians applied for disaster assistance.
The total in federal disaster aid includes $3.8 million in FEMA assistance for individuals and households and more than $20.6 million in low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) for homeowners, renters and businesses.
FEMA's Public Assistance Program has obligated $13.9 million in funds to communities and counties for debris removal, disaster-related emergency services and repair or reconstruction of damaged infrastructure.
Below are key recovery numbers:
By the Numbers
- $3,822,602.56 in disaster assistance has been approved through the Individuals and Household Program.
- $3,148,533.53 in disaster aid has been approved for Housing Assistance. This disaster housing assistance includes repairing uninsured homes to a safe, sanitary and functional condition and temporary disaster housing.
- $674,069.03 in disaster assistance has been approved for Other Needs Assistance (ONA). ONA awards are for disaster-related necessary expenses and serious needs, such as medical or dental expenses, funeral expenses, moving and storage, transportation costs and the repair or replacement of household appliances, clothing and necessary educational materials.
- 2,740 applicants for disaster assistance in Lake, Seminole, Sumter and Volusia counties.
- Six Disaster Recovery Centers had a total of 3,681 visits.
- $20,611,600 in loans has been approved by SBA for homeowners, renters and businesses.
- $17,982,700 in loans for homeowners and renters.
- $2,628,900 in business loans.
- 1,360 home inspections were conducted.
- $13,905,441.75 in Public Assistance funds was obligated for 148 projects.
The total federal outlay so far in assisting Florida in its tornado recovery is $38,339,644.31.
A county-by-county summary follows.
Florida Tornado Recovery
IHP - Individual and Household Program
HA - Housing Assistance
ON - Other Needs
As of 4/12/2007
|County||Applications||IHP Amount||HA Amount||ON Amount||Public Assistance|