Snow Aid For Lewis, Oneida And Oswego Counties

Main Content
Release date: 
April 11, 2007
Release Number: 

ALBANY, N.Y. -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has obligated more than $470,280 to help New York counties recover from the record snow and near-record snow of February 2-12.

These monies are reimbursement to units of government and certain private non-profit organizations for the costs of emergency protective measures taken, including snow removal, to save lives and to protect property, and public health and safety.

This represents 75 percent of the cost of approved public assistance projects to date. The remaining 25 percent will be paid by the State of New York.  Federal and state teams are continuing to work with local applicants to identify reimbursable expenses.

"With these funds, FEMA is helping New York communities, county and state agencies, and some private non-profit organizations recover from the record snow storms in February," said Federal Coordinating Officer Marianne C. Jackson.

President Bush's February 23 emergency declaration designated three counties that experienced record or near-record snowfall eligible for financial assistance for snow removal expenditures incurred during a 48-hour period as selected by the applicant. The emergency declared counties for snow removal financial assistance are Lewis, Oneida and Oswego.

The New York State Emergency Management Office, which administers the Public Assistance program, has briefed local officials in these counties on the assistance available and how to apply. Community officials who wish to file a request for public assistance may contact SEMO personnel at 518-292-2293 to receive further information about the process.

Public Assistance funds are available to state and local governments and certain private non-profits to respond to and recover from disasters. PA funds may be provided to reimburse costs incurred for emergency actions taken during and immediately after a disaster to protect life and property.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top