State and FEMA Schedule Briefings for Local Officials on Emergency Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
March 9, 2007
Release Number: 
1686-005

CORDELE, Ga. -- Georgia Emergency Management Agency (GEMA), Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) representatives and other Georgia disaster recovery officials have scheduled a briefing for local officials interested in applying for federal disaster assistance in the wake of severe storms and tornadoes that struck March 1-2, 2007.

Agencies eligible to participate include state agencies, local governments, public utilities, and certain private non-profit organizations. The briefings are designed to help local officials understand eligibility requirements and the reimbursement process. Representatives from eight of the nine declared counties are expected to participate: Baker, Clay, Crawford, Mitchell, Muscogee, Stewart, Sumter and Taylor. Officials from McDuffie County will be briefed at a later date.

Federal assistance is provided on a cost-sharing basis covering 75 percent of eligible costs incurred for debris removal and emergency protective measures taken in response to the storms. State and local governments assume the remaining 25 percent share.

The briefing will be held on Friday, March 9, at 2 p.m. at the following address:

South Georgia Technical College
900 South Georgia Parkway
Pope Building
Americus, Ga.

FEMA manages federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident, initiates mitigation activities and manages the National Flood Insurance Program. FEMA works closely with state and local emergency managers, law enforcement personnel, firefighters and other first responders. FEMA became part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security on March 1, 2003.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top