Disaster Officials Offer Tips to Speed Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
March 4, 2007
Release Number: 

NEW ORLEANS, La. -- Disaster-recovery officials who are helping people recover from the severe storms on February 12 and 13 in Jefferson, Orleans and St. Martin parishes have some tips to speed disaster aid.

  • Register by telephone or online as soon as possible . Homeowners, renters, and business owners who had damages and losses should call the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) registration line at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) to register for assistance. Individuals with hearing or speech impairments may call (TTY) 1-800-462-7585 . The lines are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., daily. You also can register online at www.fema.gov.

  • If you had damages from the February 12 and 13 tornadoes , you must register with FEMA even if you have received FEMA assistance from any other federally declared disaster, such as Hurricanes Katrina or Rita, and the October floods of 2006.

  • Have some information ready when you apply. When you call the FEMA number, have some important information at hand, if possible, such as your current address, address of the damaged property , contact information where FEMA can reach you , insurance information and social security number.

  • Register, even if you are insured . Your insurance coverage may not cover everything and some damage may not show up until later. Even if you have insurance, you can register with FEMA for uninsured losses.

  • If given a U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) application , turn it in as soon as possible. SBA customer service representatives will be on hand at the DRCs to issue loan applications, answer questions about SBA's disaster loan program, explain the application process and help each individual complete their application. If you have questions about SBA programs, call 1-800-659-2955 or visit www.sba.gov/services/disasterassistance.
  • Remember, disaster assistance covers a wide range of losses . Disaster-related damage or loss of personal property, from a wheelchair to a major appliance, may qualify for some form of federal assistance.

  • Stay in touch and keep appointments after you have registered for disaster assistance . A contracted FEMA inspector will make an appointment to visit your home. Make every effort to be at the damaged property for the visit and call 1-800-621-3362, helpline option, if you need to change the appointment. All FEMA inspectors will have a FEMA badge. There are no fees for FEMA inspections.

  • Visit a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) to meet face-to-face with recovery specialists. If you have questions or need more information, you can go to any of the following DRCs:
    • Jefferson Parish, Avenue D Gym, 1200 Avenue D, Westwego, 70094
    • Orleans Parish , Gentilly, Mt. Tabor Baptist Church , 4128 Franklin Ave. , New Orleans , 70122
    • St. Martin Parish, Fire Training Center , 1035 Ruth Bridge Highway , Breaux Bridge ,70517
      The DRC hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily until further notice.
  • Disaster Recovery Centers are one-stop shopping for disaster recovery information. If you have access to a telephone or computer, you are encouraged to register prior to visiting a DRC. Centers are open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily until further notice. No FEMA or State money is distributed at Di...
Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top