FEMA Approves Additional $29 Million for Mississippi

Main Content
Release date: 
January 29, 2007
Release Number: 
1604-508

BILOXI, Miss. -- Four projects in Mississippi totaling over $29 million have been approved by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

The largest of the four public assistance grants, $18,399,744 to the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency (MEMA), pays for some of the help Mississippi received from Florida in the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency requested and received emergency management personnel, equipment and materials from other states in order to save lives, protect public health and safety and prevent further damage to improved public and private property.

This $18 million grant along with $15 million previously granted represents funding for the labor, equipment and material expenses for 18 mission assignments to Florida which provided over $15 million for water, over $13 million for ice and over $1 million in baby supplies (formula, food and diapers) along with the costs associated with transporting and storing these items. FEMA previously granted an additional $15.5 million to MEMA to fund 51 other mission assignments. FEMA has provided 100 percent funding for a total of $48,849,131 to MEMA to reimburse states that came to Mississippi’s aid.

FEMA also has approved $5.9 million to the city of Waveland to make permanent repairs to roads damaged as sewer lines are replaced south of the railroad tracks. These repairs replace 24.46 miles of roadway surfaces, both concrete and asphalt. The project has a federal cost share of 90 percent or $5,312,890, with the state and local sources providing the remaining 10 percent. The sewer lines are located under the roads and their replacement requires digging a six-foot wide trench through the road surface down to the sewer line. FEMA has already approved funding for the sewer line replacement in Waveland.

Jackson County will receive $2,872,028 to construct a new pre-cast concrete fishing pier to replace the Ocean Springs Fishing Pier that was destroyed by the storm. The new pier will be 24 feet six inches wide by 2,165 feet long with a turn around at the end for emergency vehicles. The project includes a new 160 feet by 30 feet approach to the pier. This section of bridge was turned over to Jackson County to be used as a fishing pier when a new bridge was constructed in the 1960s. The federal cost share is 90 percent or $2,584,825, with the balance coming from state and local sources.

Repairs to St. Stanislaus College Preparatory School’s Student Union Building will be funded with a FEMA public assistance grant of $2,111,501. FEMA will provide 90 percent of the grant or $1,900,351. The two-story structure in Bay St. Louis serves as a nonreligious education center for students from grades six to twelve. The entire first floor received water damage and many of the exterior and interior walls were lost. The second floor suffered water damage from the hurricane-force winds and heavy rain that breached the roof system. The grant represents the estimated project amount, less insurance proceeds, to repair the building to its pre-disaster condition. The repairs include removing and replacing all damaged building materials along with the electrical and mechanical systems. A hazard mitigation proposal of $176,635.31 is also included to flood-proof the electrical and mechanical rooms to prevent future flood damage.

These grants come from FEMA’s Public Assistance program, which provides financial assistance to state and federal governments and eligible non-profit organizations for disaster-related cleanup and rebuilding to pre-disaster condition. The state of Mississippi pays a cost share for these projects and administers the Public Assistance grant program funds.

FEMA manages federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident, initiates mitigation activities and manages the National Floo...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top