Additional Damage From Aftershocks? Contact FEMA

Main Content
Release date: 
December 4, 2006
Release Number: 

HONOLULU, Hawaii — Residents of The Big Island who have registered for earthquake assistance and have sustained additional damage from aftershocks are encouraged to contact the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). They may be eligible for additional funds to repair the damage, federal and state officials said.

Homeowners, renters and business owners can call the helpline toll free 1-800-621-FEMA (3362), and press option 2, or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for the hearing and speech impaired, until 7 p.m. (local time) Monday through Saturday. Be sure to have your registration number available.

Those who have not yet registered for assistance are encouraged to do so right away by calling 1-800-621-3362, and press 1. The deadline for registering for aid under President Bush’s disaster declaration is Friday, December 22, 2006.

Also, if you have already registered and have questions about your application, call the helpline at 1-800-621-3362, with your registration number.

FEMA manages federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident, initiates mitigation activities and manages the National Flood Insurance Program. FEMA works closely with state and local emergency managers, law enforcement personnel, firefighters and other first responders. FEMA became part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security on March 1, 2003.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top