FEMA Aid for Arizona's Flood Recovery Tops $3 Million

Main Content
Release date: 
November 21, 2006
Release Number: 
1660-011

PHOENIX, Ariz. -- Nearly $3.2 million in federal disaster money for 93 projects has been approved to help Arizona communities and agencies recover from the summer storms and flooding that hit the state in July and August, according to state and federal disaster officials.

“Dozens of other projects related to last summer’s monsoons are in the approval process and are expected to receive federal funding in the near future,” said State Coordinating Officer Lou Trammell of the Arizona Division of Emergency Management.

The federal disaster funds began flowing to Arizona as a result of a major disaster declaration signed by President Bush Sept. 7 for areas of Arizona struck by severe storms and flooding between July 25 and Aug. 4.

The disaster declaration enables the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to provide infrastructure assistance to eight Arizona counties and five tribes hit by last summer’s storms. The damages eligible for federal aid range from repair of roads and other damaged infrastructure to reimbursement of storm-related debris removal and extraordinary emergency costs.

“Our partnership with state, local and tribal governments is going smoothly,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Lee Rosenberg of FEMA. “We are in high gear. Our goal is to provide federal aid in the next few weeks for the remaining eligible projects.”

The total estimated cost of the 93 flood-recovery projects already approved is $4.2 million, of which FEMA provides 75 percent, or $3.2 million. The remaining 25 percent share comes from state, local and tribal agencies or eligible non-profit organizations.

Of the 93 projects, more than $2.5 million is earmarked for permanent road repairs. Another $704,141 reimburses agencies for their emergency protective measures such as restoring access to roads and $516,643 for debris removal. Additional reimbursements include $237,868 for impacts to water control facilities, $142,897 to restore utilities, $101,044 for impacts to parks and recreational facilities and $18,695 for building repair.

The declared counties included in the presidential declaration are Apache, Coconino, Gila, Graham, Greenlee, Navajo, Pima and Pinal. The tribes included are the Gila River Indian Community within Pinal County, the Hopi Tribe within Navajo County, the Navajo Nation within Apache, Coconino and Navajo counties, the San Carlos Apache Tribe within Gila, Graham and Pinal counties and the Tohono O’odham Nation within Pinal and Pima counties.

In addition to approving funds to restore facilities to their pre-flood condition, FEMA will also provide extra money where it is possible to take additional steps to mitigate against the likelihood of similar damages and costs in the future.

FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and effectively manages federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. FEMA also initiates mitigation activities, trains first responders, and manages the National Flood Insurance Program and the U.S. Fire Administration. FEMA became part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security on March 1, 2003.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: