FEMA Assistance to New York Governments Tops $40 Million

Main Content
Release date: 
November 10, 2006
Release Number: 
1650-112

ALBANY, N.Y. -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has approved $40.7 million to help New York government entities repair damaged infrastructure and help with emergency costs such as debris removal and overtime for emergency workers following June's flooding.

The funds represent 75 percent of the cost of eligible work. The remaining 25 percent will be paid by the State of New York .

"With these funds, FEMA is helping New Yorkers recover from the destruction caused by the floods," said Federal Coordinating Officer Marianne C. Jackson. "FEMA and New York State continue to work with the affected counties to clean up and rebuild damaged infrastructure."

These monies include grants awarded to date and more funding will be approved as work projects are completed.

Certain funds are available to state and local governments and eligible private non-profits to respond to and recover from disasters. They also may be provided to reimburse costs incurred for emergency actions taken during and immediately after a disaster to protect life and property.

FEMA manages federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. FEMA also initiates mitigation activities, works with state and local emergency managers, and manages the National Flood Insurance Program. FEMA became part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security on March 1, 2003.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top