FEMA Public Assistance to El Paso Area Tops $8 Million

Main Content
Release date: 
October 25, 2006
Release Number: 
1658-030

El Paso, Texas -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has approved approximately $6.6 million in Public Assistance (PA) funds to help the City of El Paso and $1.8 million for all other applicants in El Paso and Hudspeth Counties . The funding is to repair and rebuild infrastructure damaged or destroyed in floods occurring July 27 through Aug 25, 2006.

These monies represent 75 percent of the cost of approved public assistance projects. The remaining 25 percent will be paid by the applicant.

"With these Public Assistance funds, FEMA is helping local communities recover from the destruction caused by the floods,"said Federal Coordinating Officer Kenneth Clark. "FEMA continues to work with officials in El Paso and Hudspeth Counties to rebuild damaged infrastructure."

"We anticipate the total eligible damages for these projects to be approximately $14 million, paid at the 75/25 federal cost share," added Clark. These monies include grants awarded to date and more funding will be approved as work projects are completed.

Many of the approved PA projects fund debris removal, protective measures, road and bridges, water control facilities, public buildings, public utilities and recreational projects.

Public Assistance funds are available to state and local governments and certain private non-profits to respond to and recover from disasters. PA funds may be provided to reimburse costs incurred for emergency actions taken during and immediately after a disaster to protect life and property, to conduct debris removal and to restore disaster damaged infrastructure.

FEMA manages federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident, initiates mitigation activities and manages the National Flood Insurance Program.  FEMA works closely with state and local emergency managers, law enforcement personnel, firefighters and other first responders.  FEMA became part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security on March 1, 2003.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top