Federal and State Funds Will Help Restore Public Infrastructure Damaged by Ernesto

Main Content
Release date: 
October 3, 2006
Release Number: 
1661-002

GLEN ALLEN, Va. -- Teams of federal and state infrastructure specialists will soon be meeting with state and local governments and certain non-profit organizations to assist them in moving through the reimbursement process for infrastructure damage caused by Tropical Depression Ernesto.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) made federal disaster aid in the form of Public Assistance (PA), or infrastructure assistance available to the Commonwealth of Virginia on Sept. 22, following a request for aid by Governor Timothy M. Kaine.

Funding covers reimbursement costs for emergency debris removal and emergency protective measures and can fund the repair, restoration, reconstruction or replacement of public infrastructure such as roads and bridges, water control facilities, public buildings and contents, public utilities and parks and other recreational facility facilities damaged during a disaster.

FEMA funds 75 percent of the federal costs, while the remaining 25 percent of costs are shared by the state and local governments.

The counties receiving assistance are Accomack, Caroline, Charles City, Dinwiddie, Essex, Gloucester, Isle of Wight, James City, King William, Lancaster, Mathews, Middlesex, Northampton, Northumberland, Richmond, Surry, Sussex, Westmoreland and York. The independent cities of Poquoson and Richmond are also eligible.

Gracia Szczech, Federal Coordinating Officer for recovery operations said, “We are working with the state to begin this funding process as soon as possible. It is vital that we help fund these projects that are so important to communities.”

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top