Main Content

FEMA, PEMA Still Assisting Flood Victims

Main Content
Release date: 
September 27, 2006
Release Number: 

HARRISBURG, Pa. -- The registration period for homeowners, renters and businesses who experienced damages and losses due to the late-June flooding ends on October 3. Although registration ends, disaster assistance will continue to be disbursed to eligible applicants who register by the deadline.

“As long as affected residents register by October 3, their applications will be processed,” said Commonwealth Coordinating Officer James R. Joseph.

Residents living in disaster-designated counties can apply for federal and state disaster assistance by calling the FEMA toll-free number 1-800-621-FEMA (3362); TTY 1-800-462-7585. Online registration is also available at Lines are open 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. daily. Once a resident has registered by calling the FEMA toll-free number, their application will be evaluated to determine their eligibility. Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis.

Callers are assigned a registration identification number for future reference in identifying their case. After 24 hours they will be able to check the status of their application, either by going online to or calling the Helpline at 1-800-621-3362, TTY 1-800-462-7585. Applicants should allow time for their application to be processed. Registering more than once will result in a delay of the application.

FEMA will mail a copy of the application and an applicant’s guide that will answer many questions. Among other programs, FEMA may provide housing assistance, which may include lodging expense reimbursement, repair assistance and/or temporary rental assistance.

An inspector will contact the applicant in a few days to make an appointment to visit the affected home or apartment and assess the damage. During that initial telephone contact, the inspector will advise the applicant of what documentation is needed. Be sure to give clear, accurate directions to the damaged property, the street address and a current phone number where you can be reached. Post office boxes do not show locations. The inspector will then visit the applicant’s home location and document the damages and losses.

After the initial registration, applicants may receive a loan application packet from the U. S. Small Business Administration (SBA). It is important to complete and return the packet. If it is not completed and returned, the applicant may not be considered eligible for certain types of assistance. If the SBA determines that homeowners or renters do not qualify for a loan, their name may be referred for assistance through the Other Needs Assistance (ONA) program. ONA may include medical, dental, funeral expenses, furniture, clothing, some appliances, vehicle costs (up to state limits), and other eligible expenses resulting from the disaster.

It is important for any resident living in a disaster-designated county, who experienced damages or losses during the June floods, to apply for assistance before the registration period ends.

“FEMA, in cooperation with the Commonwealth and various localities, will continue to aid the affected counties in their recovery efforts,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Tom Davies.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, an applicant must complete an SBA loan application to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

FEMA manages federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. FEMA also initiates mitigation activities, works with state and local emergency managers, and mana...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: