Registrations Continue For El Paso Flooding - Many Types of Assistance Available

Main Content
Release date: 
August 17, 2006
Release Number: 

El Paso, Texas -- Officials with the Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Texas Governor's Division of Emergency Management report that more than 500 individuals and families have registered with FEMA for disaster help since a federal disaster was declared for El Paso County on Tuesday.

Residents and businesses of the county can apply for help by registering online at or calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) . Those with speech or hearing impairment may call TTY 1-800-462-7585 . Expanded registration hours are now available for those applying by phone? 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (local time) seven days a week until further notice. Online registration can be done any time day or night.

FEMA, in partnership with the Governor's Division of Emergency Management, administers a number of disaster assistance programs and coordinates the efforts of many other agencies to help those in El Paso County affected by the recent floods. The types of assistance that are available include:


  • Housing assistance to individuals and families whose permanent homes were damaged or destroyed by the severe flooding beginning July 31.

  • Grants for temporary rental housing; for essential repairs needed to make a residence safe, sanitary and functional; and, to meet serious disaster-related needs and expenses not covered by insurance or other programs, such as medical, dental, funeral, personal property, transportation and other FEMA-approved expenses.


  • Home/Personal Property: Loans to homeowners or renters to repair or replace disaster damaged real estate or personal property owned by the victim. Renters are eligible for their personal property losses, including automobiles.

  • Business Physical Disaster Loans: Loans to repair or replace disaster-damaged property owned by the business, including real estate, facilities, supplies, inventories, machinery and equipment, etc. Businesses of any size are eligible as well as non-profit organizations such as charities, churches, private universities, etc.

  • Economic Injury Disaster Loans: Loans for working capital to small businesses and agricultural cooperatives to assist them through the disaster recovery period.

FEMA temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, an applicant must complete an SBA loan application to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

FEMA manages federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. FEMA also initiates mitigation activities, works with state and local emergency managers, and manages the National Flood Insurance Program. FEMA became part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security on March 1, 2003.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top