Disaster Declaration for Wildfires Rolled Back; FEMA Individual Assistance is Available From Nov. 27, 2005

Main Content
Release date: 
May 1, 2006
Release Number: 

FEMA Individual Assistance is Available From Nov. 27, 2005

AUSTIN, Texas -- A presidential disaster declaration making 21 counties eligible for Individual Assistance through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has been amended, adding four days to the incident period for eligibility.

On Jan. 11 and in subsequent amendments, a presidential declaration made FEMA's Individual Assistance programs available in Anderson, Bastrop, Caldwell, Callahan, Cooke, Deaf Smith, Eastland, Erath, Gray, Guadalupe, Hood, Hutchinson, Kerr, Roberts, Montague, Parker, Palo Pinto, Potter, Tarrant, Wheeler and Wise counties. But damage from wildfires had to have occurred on or after Dec. 1, 2005. The amended declaration extends the date back to Nov. 27, 2005.

The State of Texas requested the declaration rollback for Individual Assistance due to additional damage in Montague County and Wise counties occurring before the original Dec. 1 date. The latest amendment does not change the period for FEMA's Public Assistance (PA) program, which dates from Dec. 27, 2005.

Those who suffered damage from the current wildfires are encouraged to register online at www.fema.gov or call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 1-800-462-7585 for the hearing-and speech-impaired. The toll-free numbers are available from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m., Central Daylight Time, seven days a week until further notice.

Applicants should be prepared to provide basic information about themselves (name, permanent address, phone number), insurance coverage and any other information to help substantiate losses. Also, applicants should save pertinent receipts to support claims. FEMA provides assistance to wildfire victims who have eligible disaster-related expenses and serious needs that are not covered by insurance. Assistance for individuals and families suffering damage can include:

  • Grants to rent a home to live in if the damaged house is unlivable. Initial temporary housing assistance may be provided for one month for homeowners or renters. Assistance may be extended if requested based on a review of individual applicant requirements.
  • Grants for home repairs and replacement of essential household items not covered by insurance to make damaged dwellings safe, sanitary and functional.
  • Grants to replace personal property and help meet medical, dental, funeral, transportation and other serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance or other federal, state and charitable aid programs. Reimbursement is not available to households for spoiled food or the loss of freezer and refrigerator contents due to lack of power, but reimbursements may be available for miscellaneous items such as a chain saw, dehumidifier or wet/dry vac.
  • Low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration to cover residential losses not fully compensated by insurance. Loans up to $200,000 are available to repair/replace real estate and $40,000 to repair/replace personal property. The SBA also provides loans to eligible businesses to repair or replace disaster-damaged property and provide working capital to help a business through a recovery period due to economic loss stemming from disaster-related causes .
  • Free crisis counseling and free legal aid.

There are penalties for falsely reporting disaster damages. FEMA and the Texas Governor's Division of Emergency Management are coordinating a joint effort to uncover fraud attempts. People who encounter fraudulent scams should report them to their local law enforcement agency, the Attorney General's Office of Consumer Protection at 1-800-337-3928 or call the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Office of the Inspector General hotline at 1-866-720-5721. ...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top