Main Content

What to Expect From the Inspection Process

Main Content
Release date: 
April 20, 2006
Release Number: 

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- FEMA contract inspectors are currently operating throughout the seven designated counties to examine damages to homes and personal property as a result of the April 1-3 storms and tornadoes, officials from the Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management (ADEM) announced today.

The inspector visits an applicant's residence and assesses the extent of damage to a home or apartment to determine if it's safe, sanitary and functional. They will also report on other losses or damage to personal property in Conway , Cross, Fulton, Greene, Lawrence, Randolph and White counties.

When the inspector arrives, the applicant should be prepared to show proof of ownership and occupancy through copies of bills or other official documents. ?There is no need to wait for a FEMA inspector's visit before beginning cleanup,? said Federal Coordinating Officer Carlos Mitchell . ?It's recommended that you photograph the damage prior to cleanup and also keep receipts for completed disaster damage repairs.?

Here's how the inspection process works:

  • Within 7 to 10 days of registering, a FEMA inspector will call you to arrange an appointment to visit your damaged dwelling and verify losses.
  • The inspection is a key step in the process. Before an application can be completed and approved, the location must be inspected to verify the nature and extent of damages incurred.
  • The U.S. Small Business Administration also sends loss verifiers to inspect damaged property of those who have submitted completed loan applications. Insurance companies also send inspectors to meet with policy holders who have filed insurance claims. Local building and safety inspectors may come to see if damaged structures are safe.
  • FEMA Inspectors will be able to show you official identification to prove their identity. Damage inspectors do not recommend repairs and never charge the applicant for their services.
  • You will be asked to sign a document stating that you, or your child, is a lawful resident in the U.S. at the time of the disaster. You will need to present proper identification.

Those affected by the storms and tornadoes may call FEMA's toll-free number, 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) , to register for federal and state disaster assistance for losses sustained between April 1 st and 3 rd . The hearing- or speech-impaired may call (TTY) 800-462-7585 . Both numbers operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily . An application can also be filed online at .

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top