JACKSON, Miss. -- Federal and state disaster officials provided the following summary of the ongoing assistance effort as of close of business Dec. 28, 2005: Attached spreadsheet reflects data current COB Dec. 27.
- Individuals and Households Program total payments disbursed: $1,021,527,121.
- Public Assistance obligated funds currently total $653,598,473.
- The U.S. Small Business Administration Disaster Assistance Program has approved 8,742 home loans, 1,048 business loans and 205 economic injury loans, totaling $746,706,000.
- The cruise ship shelter is currently docked in Pascagoula and has 815 displaced persons and 17 FEMA staff onboard.
- 387 portable classrooms and 206 temporary offices have been provided to hurricane damaged counties by FEMA and installed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE).
- More than 25.84 million cubic yards of debris have been removed from public and private property by USACE, local governments and contractors.
- FEMA has assigned the USACE to install temporary roofs through Operation Blue Roof. Nearly 50,000 temporary roofs have been installed. Mission closed out.
- There are four open shelters (including the cruise ship shelter) housing 854 individuals.
- 392,340 housing inspections have been completed.
- To date, the four counties with the most registrations for Individual Assistance are: Forrest, Harrison, Hinds and Jackson. The total number of registrations for all four counties is 237,783. Total state registrations are at 512,688.
- The total number of travel trailers currently occupied is 28,573. There are 340 mobile homes occupied. Approximate number of people occupying temporary housing: 78,065. There are approximately 678 people occupying 260 temporary housing units that are compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- The four counties with the most travel trailers placed are: Hancock, Harrison, Jackson and Pearl River.
Federal and state disaster recovery officials urge those who have not done so to apply for disaster assistance as soon as possible by calling the toll-free application number at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or (TTY) 1-800-462-7585 for speech- or hearing-impaired. Individuals may also register online at www.fema.gov. The deadline for applications for Individual Assistance is January 11, 2006.