Main Content

Disaster Recovery Centers ? One Stop Center ? One Stop Solutions

Main Content
Release date: 
November 14, 2005
Release Number: 

NEWBURGH, Ind. -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) opened two disaster recovery centers (DRCs) in Vanderburgh and Warrick counties located at the Eastbrook Trailer Park in Evansville and 8333 Bell Oaks Dr. in Newburgh. These centers offer “one stop” disaster-related solutions to residents and businesses recovering from the tornado and severe storms of 6 November 2005. Representatives from the Small Business Administration (SBA) will also be available.

The SBA specialists at the center are an invaluable resource for business owners, as well as homeowners and renters, with disaster-related questions. For individuals, state and volunteer agencies may be able to provide assistance even if you are not eligible for any federal program.

"We've brought together people from various state, local and federal agencies, along with voluntary organizations, to provide the community with one place to get information," said Brad Gair, Federal Coordinating Officer (FCO) for this disaster recovery effort. "People's lives have been disrupted and we want to help make the recovery process as smooth as possible for them”.

In addition, Community Relations specialists are going door-to-door, handing out information about available disaster assistance, and making sure people affected by the recent tornado and severe storms know how they can get the help they need to begin the recovery process.

The following set of questions and answers explains how the centers help disaster victims:

Do I go to a DRC to start the process of getting aid?

  • No. Start the process before you go to a DRC by registering at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). If you have a speech or hearing impairment, call the TTY number instead: 1-800-462-7585. Registration can also be done online at

Is going to a DRC mandatory after I register?

  • You do not need to go to a DRC. Mostly, it is a chance to meet face-to-face with disaster recovery experts and get personal guidance on your disaster-related needs. You can visit as many times as you like throughout the recovery process.

Who is there to talk to in a DRC?

  • Disaster specialists from FEMA and the state are there and can explain programs, such as grants for home repairs or temporary rental housing. Additionally, they can help provide referrals to American Red Cross and other voluntary organizations to help with immediate unmet needs.
  • Representatives from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) are there to answer questions about the low-interest disaster loan program and provide any extra help you may need or want with a loan application.
  • Mitigation specialists can provide do-it-yourself tips on how to make your home or business safer and lessen the risk of future damage or loss.
    Would I go to a DRC if I do not plan to register for aid?
    You might. The DRCs are open to the public, and representatives from local, state and federal agencies are there to provide resources and information on such issues as:
    • How to make your home or business safe against disasters
    • Having a family disaster plan
    • Flood insurance

FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. FEMA also initiates mitigation activities, trains first responders, works with state and local emergency managers, and manages the National Flood Insurance Program and the U.S. Fire Administration. FEMA became part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security on March 1, 2003.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: