Evacuees Can Arrange For Home Inspections Without Going Home

Main Content
Release date: 
September 30, 2005
Release Number: 

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Evacuees who cannot return home for inspections can still have their homes inspected according to the Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency. FEMA-contracted inspectors will contact residents who apply for aid to set up an inspection date and time. If applicants can't be at home, they can identify an authorized agent who can be present during the inspection.

The FEMA inspector will fax an Applicant Authorized Agent Release Form to be signed and returned by fax before the inspection can occur. If the applicant does not have a trusted relative, neighbor or friend that can be the authorized agent, the inspector can offer a FEMA employee to act as an authorized agent and represent the interests of the applicant.

All applicants must provide proof that they occupied the residence at the time of the disaster, whether they rented or own the home. Occupancy can be verified with a copy of a drivers' license, other photo identification with address, a utility bill, or a credit card statement showing the physical address of the residence. Those who do not have written documentation should be prepared to provide the name of their landlord or mortgage company and the name of their insurance company if they have one.

Homeowners who apply for aid must verify ownership through a property tax receipt, mortgage payment stub, or the cover sheet of the homeowner's insurance policy. If the applicant cannot be present at the inspection, this information should be provided by fax to the FEMA-contracted inspector before the inspection is scheduled.

If the dwelling is not locked, the inspector can enter to perform a complete inspection. If the home is locked or unsafe to enter, the inspector will do an exterior inspection. Personal property will be visually verified through windows where possible. In many cases, this type of inspection provides adequate verification of damaged property.

In all cases applicants should make sure that FEMA has their current contact information. Applicants can update their phone number or mailing address by calling the FEMA Helpline at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362), or make the changes online at www.fema.gov .

FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. FEMA also initiates mitigation activities, trains first responders, works with state and local emergency managers, and manages the National Flood Insurance Program and the U.S. Fire Administration. FEMA became part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security on March 1, 2003.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top