Disaster Assistance For Primary Homes Only

Main Content
Release date: 
March 8, 2005
Release Number: 

PAGO PAGO, American Samoa -- The American Samoa Government (ASG) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) want to remind those individuals whose homes were damaged or destroyed by Cyclone Olaf that only their primary residence, the one they actually live in, is eligible for disaster assistance. Those citizens who have a house in either Manu'a or Tutuila and having a second home in Manu'a can not register for assistance for the second home.

In addition, only U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals or qualified aliens are eligible for federal assistance. If you are NOT one of these categories, but your child is, please bring proof of custodial relationship. Example: custodial papers or income tax return confirming the custodial relationship you have with the child you are applying on behalf of. A child that qualifies under the law, but does not reside with you at the disaster dwelling will not be qualified for disaster assistance.

Applicants must file an in insurance claim if the home was insured. One person only, either the owner and/or the head of household and living in the dwelling, can apply on behalf of everyone living in the dwelling. The representative for each household must bring a valid government picture I.D, such as a driver's license, passport or medical card, an American Samoa Power Authority (ASPA) bill and/or meter number and proof of the total annual income of the entire household, as evidenced by pay slips and/or a tax return. The family representative will be asked to identify their damaged dwelling on a map.

FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and effectively manages federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. FEMA also initiates mitigation activities, trains first responders, and manages the National Flood Insurance program and the U.S. Fire Administration. FEMA became part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security on March 1, 2003.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top