EAST LANSING, Mich. -- Disaster victims have just one week left to apply for disaster assistance if they suffered damage as result of the severe storms, tornadoes, and flooding, which struck southern and central Michigan from May 20 to June 8. The deadline to call and apply is 6 p.m. on Monday, August 30.
Individuals and business owners who suffered losses in the 23 disaster-declared counties may apply for disaster assistance by calling the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) toll-free number at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 1-800-462-7585. Phone lines are open Monday through Saturday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and multilingual operators are available. Disaster assistance may continue after the deadline, but victims must call before 6 p.m. on August 30 to begin the process.
Here are the latest disaster assistance statistics as of close of business, August 22:
- More than 87,000 residents have called to apply for disaster assistance
- $38.1 million approved in grants for the Individuals and Households Program
- $24,950,264 approved for Housing Assistance grants for 23,522 applicants
- $13,266,133 approved for Other Needs Assistance grants for 16,634 applicants
- $11.9 million approved in U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) low-interest loans
- $11,149,200 approved for 1,020 renter and homeowner applicants
- $791,800 approved for 98 business applicants
- More than 4,000 disaster victims and residents visited on of the seven Disaster Recovery Centers
- Almost 84,000 home inspections were completed to verify disaster damages
- More than 166,000 Helpline calls (same 800 number listed above) have been received
- More than 50,625 SBA loan application packets have been issued, BUT ONLY 9,638 returned
Note: Applicants who do not complete their loan applications are excluding themselves from additional forms of assistance. If the SBA is unable to approve a loan, the applicant may be referred to other available disaster assistance programs, including Other Needs Assistance grants.
- Three SBA Workshops are available to provide face-to-face loan officer assistance:
Detroit City Airport, 11499 Conner St., open until Friday, Aug. 27, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Dearborn Heights Fire Dept., 1999 N. Beech Daly Rd., open until Friday, Aug. 27, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Summit Place Mall, 315 N. Telegraph Rd., Waterford, Monday thru Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., until further notice.
County listings of individual assistance grants approved as of close of business August 12: