Public Assistance Grant Awarded To Nebraska

Main Content
Release date: 
August 13, 2004
Release Number: 

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) recently obligated more than $1.14 million in assistance to the state of Nebraska, to repair and rebuild damaged transmission lines near Lincoln.

The damage was a result of the tornadoes in May and the project was approved for the grant assistance a few weeks later.

In addition to repairing transmission line damage, the money will help Lincoln Electrical System rebuild a key transmission line, allowing for an alternate path to serve the southeastern portion of the city in the event of a failure of power through normal routes.

Local governments who qualify can be reimbursed for the cost of public assistance projects, including debris cleanup. FEMA reviews and approves the submittals and obligates the federal share of the costs, which cannot be less than 75 percent to the state. Once FEMA obligates funds to the state, further management of the assistance, including disbursement to applicants is the responsibility of the state. FEMA will continue to monitor the recovery progress to ensure the timely delivery of eligible assistance and compliance with the law and regulations.

“Our Public Assistance Program is another example of our strong working partnership between state governments and FEMA,” said FEMA Region VII director Richard Hainje. “This is just another step in completing the recovery process from the devastating storms of 2004.”

On March 1, 2003, FEMA became part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. FEMA's continuing mission within the new department is to lead the effort to prepare the nation for all hazards and effectively manage federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. FEMA also initiates mitigation activities, trains first responders and manages the National Flood Insurance Program and the U.S. Fire Administration.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top