LINCOLN, Neb. -- Disaster assistance totaling $7.6 million has been approved so far to help Nebraskans hit by severe storms, tornadoes and flooding May 20-June 1, federal and state officials said.
“We are working hard with our state, local and volunteer partners to help these stricken areas recover as quickly as possible,” said Scott Wells, federal coordinating officer for the disaster recovery effort.
Federal and state disaster officials provide the following summary of assistance efforts to date:
- 828 individuals in 27 counties declared for Individual Assistance in Nebraska have applied for federal and state assistance.
- 733 people have visited the four Disaster Recovery Centers.
- $5.6 million in low-interest disaster loans approved by U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) for homes and businesses.
- $301,179 approved in Housing Assistance for temporary rental assistance and minimal home repairs.
- $230,268 approved in Other Needs Assistance grants for necessary expenses and serious needs unmet by other assistance programs as a result of the disaster.
- $1,450,335 approved for debris removal, emergency protective services and permanent work.
On March 1, 2003, FEMA became part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. FEMA's continuing mission within the new department is to lead the effort to prepare the nation for all hazards and effectively manage federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. FEMA also initiates proactive mitigation activities, trains first responders, and manages the National Flood Insurance Program and the U.S. Fire Administration.