Homeland Security Provides $1.5 Million To San Diego County

Main Content
Release date: 
April 29, 2004
Release Number: 
1498-077

PASADENA, Calif. -- The Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) today announced $1.5 million in public assistance funding to the County of San Diego for eligible costs incurred in the Right of Way Debris Removal Bin program.

“It is important to understand that when fire overwhelms the state’s ability to cover the costs of cleaning up after these blazes, there are programs to provide the necessary assistance,” said Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Emergency Preparedness and Response Michael D. Brown.

The Governor’s Office of Emergency Services administers the Public Assistance Program. FEMA provided 75 percent of the projects $2 million cost, with the remaining 25 percent coming from the State of California and the County of San Diego.

The Public Assistance program funds essential government costs. The categories of expenses eligible for assistance can include debris removal; immediate protective measures, including overtime pay for emergency workers; repair of roads and bridges; repair of water control facilities; repair of public buildings and equipment; repair of public utilities; and repair of recreational facilities such as parks.

The Governor’s Office of Emergency Services coordinates overall state response to major disasters in support of local government. The office is responsible for ensuring California’s readiness to respond to and recover from natural and manmade emergencies and for assisting local governments in their emergency preparedness, response, mitigation and recovery efforts

On March 1, 2003, FEMA became part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. FEMA's continuing mission within the new department is to lead the effort to prepare the nation for all hazards and effectively manage federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. FEMA also initiates proactive mitigation activities, trains first responders, and manages the National Flood Insurance Program and the U.S. Fire Administration.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top