CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- West Virginia residents affected by the severe rains, flooding and landslides that resulted in a federal disaster declaration on November 21, 2003 are approved for more than $13 million in disaster assistance to date, according to the Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
The total includes funds for Individuals and Households, Crisis Counseling administered through the Department of Health and Human Resources, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) loans and Public Assistance to help local municipalities. Details are outlined below:
The following is a summary of activities through Monday, December 15, 2003:
- $9.317 million approved for housing assistance;
- $1.250 million for other disaster-related needs including medical, dental, personal property, transportation and funeral expenses not covered by insurance or SBA loans;
- $500,000 approved for crisis counseling services to help affected residents cope with the emotional consequences of a disaster. The number to call for assistance is 1-800-232-0020;
- $1.848 million approved by SBA for low-interest loans;
- $125,000 in Public Assistance approved for smaller infrastructure rebuilding projects;
- 6,131 applications received for housing and other needs assistance;
- 10 Disaster Recovery Centers (DRCs) presently operating—7 fixed and 3 temporary DRCs that relocate periodically;
- 1,415 persons have visited the DRCs since they began operating;
- Free legal services available by calling 1-304-558-7993 for Charleston residents, and 1-866-989-8227 for residents of other disaster-affected areas;
- Disaster Unemployment Assistance is available for those who live or work in the disaster declared counties and whose jobs or business income was affected by the storms. The application period ends 30 days from the date the state announces a county will participate in the disaster declaration;
- The application deadline for FEMA and SBA applications for this disaster is January 20, 2004.
|Designated County||No. of Applications|