Main Content

More Virginia Jurisdictions Receive Additional Hurricane Isabel Assistance

Release date: 
November 11, 2003
Release Number: 
1491-116

Richmond, VA -- Highland County has been made eligible for federal and grants to reimburse Hurricane Isabel related costs involving damage to public infrastructure, debris removal and emergency protective measures, state and federal official said today.

This brings the total number of commonwealth jurisdictions eligible for Public Assistance Program reimbursements to 100.

In addition, Farquier and Shenandoah counties, previously declared eligible for reimbursement of debris removal and emergency protective measures costs, also are now eligible for reimbursement of costs for repair or restoration of damaged public infrastructure.

The Public Assistance Program reimburses disaster related costs and losses that government jurisdictions and agencies and certain non-profits providing a government like service may incur in responding to a disaster. Among those costs may be debris removal, emergency protective measures and repair or restoration of disaster-damaged infrastructure.

The Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) pays for 75 percent of the PA Program and the Commonwealth of Virginia and local jurisdictions pay for the remaining 25 percent non-federal share. The Commonwealth of Virginia administers the public assistance program.

"State, federal and local governments are continuing to work together to assist the long-term recovery efforts of Virginia communities included in the disaster. The disaster declaration issued by President Bush on Sept. 18 authorized federal funding for individual assistance, emergency services and debris removal," Federal Coordinating Officer Louis H. Botta stated following the announcement.

State Coordinating Officer Michael Cline said, "We are gratified that additional disaster assistance is being made available to effected parts of local infrastructure in these communities to make the necessary permanent repairs."

Jurisdictions previously declared for assistance included the independent cities of Alexandria, Bedford, Buena Vista, Charlottesville, Chesapeake, Colonial Heights, Danville, Emporia, Fairfax, Falls Church, Franklin, Fredericksburg, Hampton, Harrisonburg, Hopewell, Lynchburg, Manassas, Manassas Park, Newport News, Norfolk, Petersburg, Poquoson, Portsmouth, Richmond, Staunton, Suffolk, Virginia Beach, Waynesboro, Williamsburg, Winchester and the counties of Accomack, Albermarle, Amelia, Amherst, Appomattox, Arlington, Augusta, Bedford, Brunswick, Buckingham, Campbell, Caroline, Charles City, Charlotte, Chesterfield, Clarke, Culpeper, Cumberland, Dinwiddie, Essex, Fairfax, Fauquier, Frederick, Fluvanna, Goochland, Gloucester, Greene, Greensville, Halifax, Hanover, Henrico, Isle of Wight, James City, King George, King William, King and Queen, Lancaster, Louisa, Loudoun,

Lunenburg, Madison, Mathews, Mecklenburg, Middlesex, Nelson, New Kent, Northampton, Nottoway, Northumberland, Orange, Page, Pittsylvania, Powhatan, Prince Edward, Prince George, Prince William, Rappahannock, Richmond, Rockbridge, Rockingham, Shenandoah, Southampton, Spotsylvania, Surry, Stafford, Sussex, Warren, Westmoreland and York.

On March 1, 2003, FEMA became part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. FEMA's continuing mission within the new department is to lead the effort to prepare the nation for all hazards and effectively manage federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. FEMA also initiates proactive mitigation activities, trains first responders, and manages Citizen Corps, the National Flood Insurance Program and the U.S. Fire Administration.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: