FEMA Funds Geo-Tube Repairs

Main Content
Release date: 
October 30, 2003
Release Number: 
R6-03-144

Denton, TX -- The Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) said today it has obligated $1.260,780 to the State of Texas for repairs to geo-tubes on the Bolivar Peninsula in Galveston County.

Hurricane Claudette made landfall on July 15, 2003. Eighteen counties were declared federal disaster areas, and state and federal disaster assistance in these counties totals $34.8 million to date. The storm caused extensive damage to geo-tubes on the Bolivar Peninsula. Geo-tubes are sand and water filled structures that, like sand dunes, provide protection to buildings and other infrastructure in coastal areas.

"We are committed to helping communities recover from disaster," said Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary for Emergency Preparedness and Response. "This grant pays for important repairs that will protect vulnerable areas from future hurricanes."

FEMA provides 75 percent of the project's $1.35 million cost. The remaining 25 percent non-federal share comes from local resources. The FEMA funds are made available under the Public Assistance Program. The State of Texas administers the program under which eligible disaster-related costs are reimbursed to government units and some non-profit organizations in the areas of emergency protective measures, debris removal and restoration of public facilities.

There have been 14 named tropical storms in the 2003 Atlantic hurricane season that ends November 30. The Texas coast felt the effects of Hurricane Claudette in July and Tropical Storm Erika and Grace in August.

"In every season of the year, Texans need to be disaster prepared," said Brown. "We encourage Texans to review family disaster plans, compile emergency supplies kits and listen to local officials."

On March 1, 2003, FEMA became part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. FEMA's continuing mission within the new department is to lead the effort to prepare the nation for all hazards and effectively manage federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. FEMA also initiates proactive mitigation activities, trains first responders, and manages Citizen Corps, the National Flood Insurance Program and the U.S. Fire Administration.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: