Kokomo, IN - A total of $28,362,944 million in grants and low-interest disaster loans has been approved so far to assist in disaster recovery in response to the damage and loss suffered by Indiana residents in this summer's severe weather, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Indiana State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA).
The deadline for applying for disaster assistance is fast approaching, however, and recovery officials urge anyone who suffered damage or loss from the severe storms, tornadoes and flooding that occurred July 4 through August 6 to apply for assistance by calling the FEMA toll-free registration number, 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). Those with speech or hearing impairment can call TTY 1-800-462-7585.
The deadline to call and apply for assistance is September 9. The application lines are open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Saturday, except they will be closed on the Labor Day holiday, Monday, September 1.
A total of 43 Indiana counties are eligible to receive Individual Assistance for homeowners, renters and business owners. This is a summary of recovery activities as of close of business August 28:
- 5,886 individuals have applied for assistance
$28,362,944 approved in grants and low-interest disaster loans
- $8,549,212 approved in Housing Assistance grants for temporary rental assistance and minimal home repairs
- $3,029,332 approved in Other Needs Assistance grants for necessary expenses and serious needs caused by the disaster for applicants
- $16,784,400 approved in U.S. Small Business Administration low-interest loans, including 684 home loans ($14,467,000), 39 business loans ($2,154,800) and 19 economic injury loans ($162,600)
- 2,616 people visited one of 12 joint Disaster Recovery Centers that were opened in affected areas
The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has established workshops to help those who would like assistance filling out their loan application. The workshops will be open at the following locations and times, until further notice, except all workshops will be closed on Labor Day, Monday, September 1:
- Adams County - Adams County Complex, 313 W. Jefferson Street, Decatur (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Allen County - Lutheran Foundation Duemling Clinic Building, 3024 Fairfield Avenue in Fort Wayne (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Howard County - Johanning Civic Center, 1500 N. Reed Street, Kokomo (9 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
- Wells County - Wells County EMA Office, 223 West Washington St., Suite 101, Bluffton (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
Other disaster recovery assistance includes:
- Crisis Counseling services are available through the Indiana State Division of Mental Health and Addiction. Those interested in crisis counseling should call 800-564-6460.
- The Internal Revenue Service provides special tax relief for disaster affected Indiana taxpaye...