Corpus Christi, TX - The deadline for individuals and business owners in the 18 Texas counties covered by President George W. Bush's July 17 disaster declaration is September 15, 2003.
Anyone in Aransas, Atascosa, Bee, Brazoria, Calhoun, DeWitt, Frio, Galveston, Goliad, Jackson, Karnes, Live Oak, Matagorda, McMullen, Refugio, Victoria, San Patricio and Zavala counties who had damages from Hurricane Claudette who has yet to register should call FEMA's toll-free registration number at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY: 1-800-462-7585 for the hearing or speech impaired. The lines are open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Saturday.
Assistance totaling $18.87 million has been approved to date, including:
- The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has approved 406 low-interest disaster loans totaling $3.75 million for repairing or replacing damaged property. SBA urges those who receive application packets in the mail or at Disaster Recovery Centers to complete the applications and return them quickly. Completing the application is necessary to be eligible for other forms of assistance. If you need help in filling out the application, SBA Loan Officers are in the Disaster Recovery Centers, and can assist you.
- Disaster Housing Program funds totaling $9.3 million. The program includes assistance for basic housing repairs, short-term rental assistance or reimbursement of hotel/motel expenses.
- Funds for Other Needs Assistance total $5.82 million. This program provides grants to individuals who have disaster-related needs for which disaster loans are not available.
- Disaster Unemployment Assistance is available by calling the Texas Workforce Commission Tele-Center at 1-800-939-6631. The line is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The filing deadline for those in Bee, Brazoria, Dewitt, Frio, Galveston, Goliad, Karnes, Live Oak and San Patricio counties is August 28, 2003. The filing deadline for those in Atascosa, McMullen and Zavala counties is September 3, 2003. The filing deadline for those in Aransas County is September 5, 2003.
- The State Bar of Texas provides free legal assistance and answers to basic legal questions for those in the disaster declared counties. In addition to answering questions, volunteer lawyers will give referral information in English and Spanish. The number to call is 1-800-504-7030.
Referral services and short-term intervention counseling is available for both adults and children affected by Hurricane Claudette. Crisis counselors are located in all Disaster Recovery Centers. Crisis counseling assistance is also available by calling these hotline numbers:
Calhoun, DeWitt, Goliad, Jackson, Refugio and Victoria counties- 1-800-421-8825
Matagorda County- 1-800-633-5686
Aransas, Bee, Live Oak and San Patricio counties- 1-800-841-6467
Brazoria and Galveston counties- 1-800-643-0967
Atascosa, McMullen and Zavala counties- 1-800-543-5750
- The FEMA toll-free registration number is 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). The number for the hearing or speech impaired is (TTY) 1-800-462-7585. The phone lines are open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
- Disaster Recovery Centers have been established for those who have already registered and who need to talk with some...