Kokomo, IN -- As Indiana residents continue to call in to apply for disaster assistance, the amount in grants and low-interest disaster loans approved for those affected by the severe summer storms and flooding has grown to reach nearly $25.5 million, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Indiana State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA).
Disaster recovery officials urge anyone who suffered damage or loss from the severe storms, tornadoes and flooding that occurred July 4 through August 6 to apply for assistance by calling the FEMA toll-free registration number, 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). Those with a speech or hearing impairment can call TTY 1-800-462-7585. Both lines are open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Saturday. The deadline to call and apply for assistance is September 9.
With the addition of Lake, Porter and Vanderburgh counties to the disaster declaration this week, a total of 43 Indiana counties are eligible to receive Individual Assistance for homeowners, renters and business owners. This is a summary of recovery activities as of close of business August 21:
- 5,593 individuals have applied for assistance
- $25,481,378 approved in grants and low-interest disaster loans for more than 3,600 Hoosiers
- $8,103,167 approved in Housing Assistance grants for temporary rental assistance and minimal home repairs
- $2,851,310 approved in Other Needs Assistance grants for necessary expenses and serious needs caused by the disaster.
- $14,526,900 approved in U.S. Small Business Administration low-interest loans, including 610 home loans ($13,033,000), 29 business loans ($1,383,600) and 14 economic injury loans ($110,300).
So far, 2,416 people have visited joint Disaster Recovery Centers that have been open in affected areas for disaster victims to meet face-to-face with recovery specialists. The following temporary centers continue to operate 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. as indicated:
- Lake County Emergency Management Agency at 2900 West 93rd Avenue in Crown Point (Closed Sunday, re-opening 9:30 a.m. Monday)
- Johanning Civic Center at 1500 N. Reed Road (U.S.31) in Kokomo (Closed Saturday & Sunday, re-opening 9:30 a.m. Monday)
- American Red Cross Building at 113 East Diamond Avenue in Evansville (Closes Saturday, August 23, at 6:30 p.m.)
The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has established workshops to help those who would like assistance filling out their loan application. The following workshops will be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, until further notice.
- Wells County EMA Office, 223 West Washington St., Suite 101 in Bluffton
- Adams County Complex, 313 West Jefferson St. in Decatur
- Lutheran Foundation Duemling Clinic Building, 3024 Fairfield Avenue in Fort Wayne
- Rosedale Town Hall, 52 West Middle St. in Rosedale (Closes today - 8/22 - at 5 p.m.)
Other disaster recovery assistance includes:
- Crisis Counseling services are available through the Indiana Stat...