Corpus Christi, TX -- More than 11,300 individuals have registered for assistance since President George W. Bush's July 17 disaster declaration. Under the declaration, individuals and businesses in the counties of Aransas, Atascosa, Bee, Brazoria, Calhoun, DeWitt, Frio, Galveston, Goliad, Jackson, Karnes, Live Oak, Matagorda, McMullen, Refugio, Victoria, San Patricio and Zavala are eligible to apply for disaster assistance.
Disaster assistance to date:
- Approved funds under the Disaster Housing Program total $7,154,562. The Disaster Housing Program includes assistance for basic housing repairs, short-term rental assistance or reimbursement of hotel/motel expenses.
- Atascosa, Bee, Brazoria, Calhoun, DeWitt, Frio, Galveston, Goliad, Jackson, Karnes, Live Oak, Matagorda, McMullen, Refugio, Victoria, San Patricio and Zavala counties are also eligible for all seven categories for Public Assistance (infrastructure support). Aransas County has been designated as eligible for Individual Assistance only, and is not eligible for Public Assistance.
- Approved funds for Other Needs Assistance total $4,239,782. This program provides grants to individuals who have disaster-related needs for which disaster loans are not available.
- The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has approved 160 low-interest disaster loans totaling $1,539,400 for repairing or replacing damaged property. SBA urges those who receive application packets in the mail or at Disaster Recovery Centers to complete the applications and return them quickly. Completing the application is necessary to be eligible for other forms of assistance. If you need help in filling out the SBA application, you can visit one of the Disaster Recovery Centers where SBA Loan Officers will assist you.
- Disaster Unemployment Assistance is available by calling the Texas Workforce Commission Tele-Center at 1-800-939-6631. The line is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The deadline for filing an application is August 21, 2003 for those in Calhoun, Jackson, Matagorda, Refugio and Victoria counties. The filing deadline for those in Bee, Brazoria, Dewitt, Frio, Galveston, Goliad, Karnes, Live Oak and San Patricio counties is August 28, 2003. The filing deadline for those in Atascosa, McMullen and Zavala counties is September 3, 2003.
- The State Bar of Texas is providing free legal assistance and answers to basic legal questions for those in the disaster declared counties. In addition to answering questions, volunteer lawyers will give referral information in English and Spanish. The number to call is 1-800-504-7030.
- Referral services and short-term intervention counseling is available for both adults and children affected by Hurricane Claudette. Crisis counselors are located in all Disaster Recovery Centers. Crisis counseling assistance is also available by calling these hotline numbers:
Calhoun, DeWitt, Goliad, Jackson, Refugio and Victoria counties- 1-800-421-8825
Matagorda County- 1-800-633-5686
Aransas, Bee, Live Oak and San Patricio counties- 1-800-841-6467
Brazoria and Galveston counties- 1-800-643-0967
Atascosa, McMullen and Zavala counties- 1-800-543-5750